Tuesday 15 December 2015

Cool Gift Ideas For This Christmas..... All Under N2000!!!

Gosh! Christmas is so close! I just realized that the year would come to an end really soon and a "gifter" like me never lets any year go by without giving few gifts. I noticed something not so good though. All through this year the same thing has been on everyone's lips: No money. Its not the usual no money that we heard the years before. This year, it got really worse. Does that mean we won't be giving gifts this Christmas? Mbanu. I went online in a bid to get ideas on what to buy for loved ones and I saw great stuff, until I checked their prices. Say whaaaat! *runs away* Ema binu, biko, please, mbok, I will not goan empty my entire account to buy gift. Call it frugality, Chibugo says its sensibility, especially when you're from a large family like me. So I compiled this list for those of us who are going to be going shopping for Christmas gifts while working on a tight budget. I hope you get pocket-friendly inspiration! Next year will be a time of great abundance!


In no particular order of importance, here goes:
FASHION ITEMS
I don't know why but the few times I get gifts, they're almost always fashion items. I am such an mgbeke but I always appreciate them :D
1. A Hat. 
          Hats are really fashionable and add taste to any outfit, especially casual ones. There are different kinds for everyone, whether male or female.
a gatsby

a fedora

a bowler hat

a sunhat
These all cost between N1200 and N2000. I did not send you to enter boutique on the Island oh. Find your way to a store in a real "market area". Like Balogun, Trade fair or Yaba. *straight face*

2. Sunglasses: Sunglasses have a way of adding the "cool" factor to any outfit. I love 'em, and you dont have to break a bank to get nice ones.


I wouldn't mind one of these myself. They're so cute. I can also confidently tell you that with N1000-N1500, you can get someone a pair of these.

3. A sweater: 'nuff said. Its harmattan. who wouldn't appreciate one? I got a sleeveless one for my brother earlier in the year for N1300.

4. Thick socks: A friend got me one of these some years back and I remember her fondly every harmattan because of how useful they are. I'm wearing them now ;D

5. A tie: They come in different colours and trust me, N2000 is more than enough to get someone a decent tie.


6. Trendy flat shoes: you can actually get a decent pair of ballerina shoes for as low as N1500 at Trade fair or any other market in Lagos. Some could cost more, it all depends on your budget.



There are a lot more ideas swirling around in my head and i doubt that i'll be able to provide images for them all: You could get
a belt,
colorful beaded wristbands,
lipstick,
eyeshadow (House of Tara and Sleek stock affordable makeup products),
a set of false lashes,
eyeshadow shields,
 a scarf, whether silk or pashmina,
a set of nail polish,
hair products for the naturalistas,
cologne,
costume jewelry; the list is just endless, it all depends of the different personalities and what they would appreciate.

Okay, I'll just write them down in whatever order they come to mind. Where images are required, I'll provide 'em
1. A Bible cover
2. A backpack/ duffel bag
3. Data bundle
4. Game set,e.g., monopoly, chess, scrabble, ayo/ncho

5. Leather ware: Our northern brothers sell their handmade wares all over Lagos and it only takes one look for you to get hooked. It helps that they're pocket friendly too.
6. A mobile shoe rack/hanging shoe holder: 
7. A set of of underwear
8. Earphones
9. A decorative picture frame
10. A doll/teddy for the kids.
11. A few yards of fabric
12. A book. I love books a lot. A well chosen book is the ultimate gift anyone could give me. I could actually recommend a few I've read(which you should too);

FICTION
The secret lives of Baba Segi's wives by Lola Shoneyin
Everyday is for the thief by Teju Cole
Everything good will come by Sefi Atta
The concubine by Elechi Amadi
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Jagua Nana/Jagua Nana's daughter by Cyprian Ekwensi
Second class citizen by Buchi Emecheta
Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe
Half of a yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Efuru by Flora Nwapa

CHILDREN'S FICTION
Zahrah the windseeker by Nnedi Okoroafor
Behind the clouds by Ifeoma Okoye
Chike and the river by Chinua Achebe
Mother's choice by Agbo Areo
A second chance by Nyengi Koin

MOTIVATIONAL
A purpose driven life by Rick Warren(highly recommended)
Think big by Ben Carson
Why you act the way you do by Tim LaHaye
The five love languages by Gary Chapman(highly recommended)

There are countless kinds of books to make your selection from. You just need to go out and see for yourself.

 So, what will you be getting your loved ones this Christmas? Put smiles on their faces but remember not to break the bank. Remember too, the very poor, whose biggest fear is not seeing the next meal to put on the table. Three paint buckets of garri and a gallon of palm oil is probably around N2000. I'm just saying though....

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.....-  Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha.Probably that silk scarf you've been too lazy to get ;). Merry Christmas Somee

      Delete
  2. The gatsby is fine for Me.

    Yours faithfully,
    Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The secret lives of Baba Segi's wives...lol. I found that book in my hubby's house while we were still dating and it took me months to get around to reading it, cos it didn't look interesting one bit. Then I read the first chapter and was hooked. lol. I loved the story. I never knew how it was gonna end. And to think that some days ago we talked about it and laughed over the story but couldn't remember the name of the book. Thanks for that.
    Nice compilation of possible gifts Cibul. Beleive me, it's gonna be super useful to many. I was about giving up on gifts totally this year but now I'm rethinking it. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to help. I love that book too. Tragicomedy at its finest. Merry Christmas Nulis.

      Delete